FLSA Status: NA
Work Schedule: Monday – Friday
8:00am – 4:30pm
Reports to (primary): Warehouse Manager
Reports to (secondary): GM and HR
The Food & Safety Manager will be responsible for ensuring that all entities are and remain in compliance with state and federal safety guidelines and regulations. Supports the operations in the following areas: Warehouse Safety, Food Sanitation/Safety, Communicate with the Fire Department, DOT Safety, Maintenance, at all sites. The Safety Manager in addition to providing safety training, must drive safety policies/initiative by enforcing company health and safety guidelines. Inspect workspaces, and machinery to ensure that all are maintained at the highest OSHA standards/ safety requirements. Manage facility safety, food safety, job hazard site analysis. Administrative functions: Maintain documents, policies and record keeping. Update on-line portal daily.
Essential Job Functions
- Create a sustainable “Food Safety” and “Warehouse Safety” culture for all employees.
- Lead Safety meetings/agenda for all entities. (Employee and Committee meetings) (Newark – Mondays and Carteret – Tuesdays. Committee Meetings: Conduct once per month – office & warehouse.
- Prepare Weekly Sanitation (GMP) and Hazard Checklists for both facilities and document/file list. Submit any NOUCA to appropriate Dept. Manager. (Newark – Mondays and Carteret – Tuesdays).
- Provide Legion Express, Inc. and Ruggiero Seafood, Inc. with Weekly Safety Tips.
- Conduct Job Hazard Analysis Site Review for both Facilities once a quarter, 4 times a year. February, May, August, November.
- Prepares/Identify company safety training needs. Develop and coordinate safety training programs. Train employees in safety procedures. (Review and retrain operators and other employees.)
- Undertake a lead role in the risk assessment program.
- Designs methods for appraising/improving safety conditions in warehouses and offices.
- Inspects working conditions to ensure all products and activities are compliant with safety guidelines. Example: safety harnesses, ladders, exits, fire extinguishers etc. Facilitates any recall of unsafe machinery.
- Oversees use of dangerous chemicals and machinery. Implements hazard communication program and prepares reports.
- Conduct daily safety walks and inspections. Write reports detailing inspection process.
- Suggests revisions to employee activity that do not meet health and safety codes/requirements.
- Orders safety gear and supplies for workplace.
- Formulate emergency plan and runs emergency safety drills to gauge employee readiness. Act as a liaison between management and local safety agencies, such as fire and insurance personnel. Update evacuation maps.
- Addresses any workplace related health issues and accidents. In charge of injury reports and completes injury/ accident investigations.
- Maintain safety library: (e.g., videos, regulations and reference material).
- Process/post/file workers compensation documentation.
- Conduct Job Site Visit, Food Safety, GMP for both Facilities once a quarter, 4 times a year. March, June, September, December. Annual food safety, quality and continuous improvement plans.
- Lead, AIB & BRC Requirements and schedule Audits. (Work with GM), including OSHA Specialist.
- Review new hire packet with all new employees and ensure that all training documents and tests are completed prior to start. Email new hire documentation to HR.
- Maintain and update employee training documents and certifications. Ensure that safety-related training records, accident reports and other documents are completed and stored properly.
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of federal, state and city safety requirements.
- Previous knowledge Warehouse operations. 7 + years experience desirable
- Minimum: Associates or Technical degree
- Desirable: College degree in Health and Safety or related field preferred. Business Management a plus
- Minimum: 2 years technical experience in warehousing or transportation services.
- Familiarity with OSHA regulations and
- Desire to understand and facilitate HACCP certification.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent interpersonal and facilitation skills
- Strong interpersonal skills (communication, presentation, issue management)
- Comprehensive knowledge of OSHA regulations
- Microsoft office applications including Microsoft power point
- Must be computer savvy
Physical Demands of the Job
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be working in an office environment, but as the need arises might have to visit the dock area, and may be subject to the following work environment:
- The employee may be required to work in a warehouse/dock office.
- The employee may be subject to both inside and outside environmental conditions
- The employee may be temporarily subject to extreme cold: temperatures typically between 35-40 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The noise level in the work environment can be loud.
- Local travel to other worksites. e.g. Newark will be required.
- Proper safety gear must be worn always
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. This position may be assigned to perform other duties to meet the ongoing needs of the organization. Additionally, this position is expected to adhere to all company policies and to act as a role-model representing leadership and corporate culture.
How to Apply
Please include the job title for the position you are applying to in the subject field. Someone from the GSCS team will get back to you as soon as we can.